Restricted Substitutes

There is a national shortage of Licensed Substitutes. Malheur ESD is addressing this through hiring and training candidates eligible pursuant to ORS 584-060-0682 – TSPC Restricted Substitute Teaching License. Due to this shortage, TSPC has approved new rules governing the requirements to obtain a Restricted License:

  • Applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution or approved foreign equivalent.

  • Licensed sub is eligible to sub for a teacher in any K-12 level.

  • Cannot work more than 10 consecutive days in the same position.

To obtain a Restricted Substitute License, follow the steps listed below:

  1. Submit Restricted Substitute Teaching License application through TSPC ($182)

  2. Complete fingerprinting for Criminal History Verification -- this will be set up through TSPC ($61)

  3. Submit official transcripts directly to TSPC

  4. Schedule and complete ORELA Civil Rights Exam. This is offered at Treasure Valley Community College. ($95)

  5. Obtain a sponsorship letter through Malheur ESD (make sure all other steps are complete).

Once you obtain your Restricted Substitute Teaching License, you will need to register as a substitute for Malheur County Region 14 schools. See guidelines here.

For additional information regarding a Restricted Substitute License, please email Jodi Westerberg or call (541) 473-4821.