Substitute Teachers

To be eligible to substitute teach in Oregon schools, a person must hold a valid Oregon Teaching License issued by Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC). If you hold an Oregon Teaching License and would like to register as a substitute for Malheur County Region 14 Schools, follow the steps listed below:

  1. Complete and sign the Substitute Teacher Form indicating teaching preferences pertaining to school districts, subjects, and grade levels.

  2. Complete and sign the Oregon Statewide Teaching Application

  3. Print Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I9). Original documents (valid driver license and social security card or passport) must be presented in person for certification of this form.

  4. HB 2062 Disclosure Release Form(s) from three most recent educational entity employers for release of information related to any substantiated reports of child abuse, sexual conduct or crimes listed in ORS 342.143. This must be completed by previous districts you have worked for.

  5. Completion of the Child Abuse Prevention Training annually. Malheur ESD will create a login for you once all other steps are complete.

Each school district pays substitute teachers through the individual school district's payroll department. In order to receive payment, you must complete a Form W-4 and any other required paperwork for each school district where you are a substitute teacher.

If you do not have an Oregon Teaching License but you are interested in substitute teaching and hold a Bachelor’s Degree, you may be qualified to obtain a Restricted Substitute License.

For additional information regarding substitute teacher registration, please email Jodi Westerberg or call (541) 473-4821.